Vacation Check Procedures
If you are going out-of-town for a week, or even the entire winter, the Police Department offers a service to check your house while you are away.
Reserve officers will periodically come to your home and make sure all windows and doors are secure. If packages are left at your doorstep, or your mail is overflowing, we will call a person you have designated as your "key holder."
You can print a copy of the house check form (PDF), complete and return it to the Police Department by:
You can also return the form in person or mail it to the department at:
Orono Police Department
2730 Kelley Parkway
Orono, MN 55356
Other Steps to Take
- Prior to departure, you should cancel your mail service or arrange for a trusted neighbor or friend to handle this for you.
- Make arrangements for snow plowing or lawn mowing (depending on the time of year), and determine who will have access to your home.
- If there is not enough snow to plow, ask someone to drive up and down the driveway a few times so your house has that "lived in" look.
- You are encouraged to have a trusted neighbor keep an eye on the house for you on a daily basis.
- Have lights on timers to simulate the times you usually turn on and off your light.